Erasmus+ project “Comics in Teaching Languages/La BD en classe de langues” financed by European Commission through Erasmus+ Programme with an European budget of 95820 Euro (30450 Euro for the Coordinator), answers to a strong need issued after an analysis of needs of renewal the strategies of teaching and learning languages following the key competencies and to the necessity of increasing pupils’ motivation in order to improve the quality of language learning,of cultural and communicative aspects at the level of 7 European schools and will be implemented in 2015-17,in an international partnership coordinated by Theoretical High School “M.Kogălniceanu” Vaslui Romania, institution with a big experience of 14 years in coordinating European projects and 7 European Language Labels.
The main objective of the project is to increase the quality of language learning by promoting intercultural European education centered on comics, through the main key competencies: communication in foreign languages (English, French, Italian), digital competencies, sense of initiative and entrepreneurship and the cultural responsiveness and expression.
The specific objectives:
- to promote innovation through comics and their civilizing, historical,artistic,communicative and IT aspects in teaching foreign languages (French, English, Italian) to 1400 pupils and 50 teachers from the 7 European schools in partnership;
- to endorse creativity, competitiveness, employability, growth of initiative spirit through comics to 1400 pupils and 70 teachers from the 7 European schools in partnership;
- to develop one creative instrument of e-learning – Learning Management System - intended for a friendly and creative linguistic and IT approach of comics in the 7 involved institutions& 5 course supports for training&informing teachers (1-using project’s info website and creating multimedia lessons; 2-using the project’s LMS; 3-editing a school magazine–graphics on computer; 4 – audio-video editing; 5-using web instruments for creating comics);
- to enhance interculturality through a comics magazine (12 editions) entitled "Scaramouche" made in common by the 7 project teams;
- to develop the inventiveness and the sense of art by creating graphics for the 12 comics magazines,5 cartoons inspired by comics created and one documentary film with 6 episodes about implementing the project and the progress of the 6 project reunions;
- to increase the didactic, IT skills and resourcefulness of 40 language teachers from the 7 institutions by creating: 30 multimedia art lessons using comics,30 multimedia history lessons using comics; 30 language (En,Fr,It) multimedia lessons using comics following all 4 language competences;
- to augment cooperation and learning using IT through 12 webinars of training and 6 international contests organized during 6 project reunions;
- to ameliorate the 7 involved schools curricula and to increase the project’s follow-up by creating 3 course supports for 3 optional courses for teaching languages(EN,Fr,It) using comics;
The project activities will be integrated into the school curriculum of involved institutions. The strategy of monitoring,evaluation and dissemination will be complex and will follow every step of project implementation.
The target group is made of 5000 pupils and 50 teachers from the involved institutions.
The main activities are: - project management: preparation of the projects teams,of the connections and selection of target groups; implementation; general management; evaluation; dissemination; financial management; transnational meetings (M1 in Ro, M2 in Tk, M3 in Cy, M4 in Pt, M5 in Sp, M6 in Ro); work to get the intellectual output(O1); the multiplier event (E1-the International Conference “Comics in teaching languages – for a new age of didactic creativity”).
The methodology of the implementation is founded on the management phases, as well on actions in order to: plan and prepare (action strategy); realize the project (project’s teams founding, detailed activities), management, evaluation (as stipulated in the project’s approach) dissemination of the results, follow-up strategy, sustainability.